Recipe: Press-In Pan Cookie Dough/ Tart Dough:
2-1/2 cups a.p.flou
½ t salt
Opt. ½ t baking powder
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 T vanilla
Opt. 1 T grated lemon zest, 1 T poppy Seed (lemon-poppy seed dough)
Opt. ½ cup cocoa (chocolate dough)
- Procedure: Short Dough: Cookie Dough; Creaming Mixing Method:
Opt. 1 t cinnamon (cinnamon dough)
Same as above: Great for small or individual size tart shells
Procedure: Short Dough: Cookie Dough: Creaming Mixing Method:
(1)Whisk together in a bowl and set aside; flour, baking powder, salt, and cocoa if desired, or other flavorings or seasonings.
(2) In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment beat the butter for a few minutes until soft, slowly add sugar on medium speed and beat until sugar dissolves and is pale and fluffy about 3 minutes.
(3) Beat in eggs (room temp.) one at a time until incorporated. Add vanilla.
(4) Reduce speed to low and add flour (dry) mixture, mix until just combined. Remove dough and form into a disc.
(5) Wrap with plastic and refrigerate. Use for all tart and pie shell applications
Recipe: Oat Dough Crust/ Dessert Bar /Foundation Dough:
*1 cup butter
*1 cup light brown sugar
*1 Tablespoon vanilla
*½ teaspoon baking powder
*2 cups a.p.flour
*2 cups quick oats
*¼ teaspoon salt
Optional: add 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans for oat/nut dough
Use for lemon bars, top with lemon filling, cream cheese cake bars, raspberry streusel bars (top with raspberry jam and streusel. Filling recipes and many more filling and topping ideas listed in frostings, fillings, icings and glazes section
In a mixing bowl whisk together the flour, oats, baking powder and salt. In bowl of mixer with paddle attachment cream the butter and sugar until well mixed and the sugar is dissolved. Add the vanilla. Add the dry ingredients and mix until combined and crumb mixture forms that clings together.
Recipe: Basic Short Bread:
Procedure: Creaming Mixing Method:
(1) Whisk together in a bowl and set aside; flour, baking powder, salt, and cocoa if desired.
(2) In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment beat the butter for a few minutes until soft, slowly add sugar on medium speed and beat until sugar dissolves and is light and fluffy about 2 minutes. Add vanilla.
(3) On low Speed add flour (dry) mixture in two additions; beat just until blended after each addition. Remove dough and form into a disc.
(4) Press into one 13x9x2 pan, or two 8 or 9 inch pie plates or cake pans. Use a fork to mark where you want to cut portions. Bake at 325for 25 to 35 minutes or until golden brown in the center rack of the oven.
My Favorite: Raspberry Streusel Shortbread: Pat the dough into a 13x9x2 pan and spread 2 cups of raspberry jam over the dough. Top with streusel topping: Cream together ½ butter, ½ cup sugar, 1 t vanilla, 2 cups flour until crumbs form. Bake at 350 for about 25 to 35 minutes. Cool. Cut into squares.
Pecan Sandies, Add one cup chopped pecans to dough, divide and roll dough into small balls, place on ungreased baking sheets two inches apart, press down slightly on top with a glass. Bake 350 10 to 12 minutes. After the cookies cool on a rack sprinkle liberally with powder sugar.
Chocolate Pecan Sandies, add ½ cocoa and 1 cup chopped pecans.
Macadamia Shortbread, press dough into 13x9x2 pan, use a brush to sprinkle the top of the dough liberally with water, scatter 1 cup (4 ounces), chopped macadamia nuts and 1/3 cup granulated sugar, press in with your hand. Bake at 325 for 30 minutes, center oven.